MONO ETHYLENE GLYCOL (MEG)
MONO ETHYLENE GLYCOL (MEG) is a chemical product and Arena Petro Gas is in position to supply and export it directly from MAROON PETROCHEMICAL - SHAZAND PETROCHEMICAL through its trading services according to the following specification and technical properties.
Mono ethylene glycol (MEG) is an organic compound with the formula C2H6O2. It is a slightly viscous liquid with a clear, colourless appearance and a sweet taste that emits virtually no odour. It is mainly used as a raw material for the production of polyester fibres, polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles, and antifreeze agents .
MEG is widely used in various industries, such as textile, packaging, automotive, aviation, and chemical. Some of the applications of MEG are:
- Textile: MEG is a key component for the synthesis of polyester fibres, which widely use for functional sports and casual wear. Polyester fibres have high strength, durability, and resistance to shrinking and wrinkling.
- Packaging: MEG is also a key component for the synthesis of polyethylene terephthalate (PET), which a thermoplastic polymer use for making bottles, containers, films, and trays. PET has excellent transparency, mechanical strength, and recyclability.
- Automotive: MEG use as an antifreeze agent for engine coolants, which prevent freezing and corrosion of the cooling system. MEG can also act as a lubricant for moving parts in the cooling system and as an additive for electrolytic polishing belts .
- Aviation: MEG is used as a de-icing and anti-icing agent for aircrafts, which prevent ice formation on the wings, fuselage, and other parts of the aircraft. MEG can lower the freezing point of water and also inhibit ice crystal growth.
- Chemical: MEG use as a solvent, plasticizer, humectant, and intermediate for various chemical reactions. For example, MEG can be used to produce unsaturated polyester resins, polyurethane systems, detergents, morpholine, and other organic compounds.
The technical specifications of MEG vary depending on the grade and the manufacturer. According to some sources , the technical specifications of MEG produced by Maroon Petrochemical Company (MPC), Shazand Petrochemical Company (SPC) are:
- | Appearance | - | Clear liquid | Clear liquid | Clear liquid |
- | Colour (Pt-Co) | - | Max 10 | Max 10 | Max 10 |
- | Purity | %wt | Min 99.8 | Min 99.8 | Min 99.8 |
- | Water content | %wt | Max 0.1 | Max 0.1 | Max 0.1 |
- | Acidity (as acetic acid) | ppm wt | Max 10 | Max 10 | Max 10 |
- | Ash content | ppm wt | Max 5 | Max 5 | Max 5 |
- | Specific gravity at 20°C/20°C | - | 1.113 - 1.1155 | 1.113 - 1.1155 | 1.113 - 1.1155 |
- | Distillation range at 760 mmHg (IBP - DP) | °C | 196 - 199 | 196 - 199 | 196 - 199 |